Sunday 12 February 2012

Up All Night

I managed seven hours of sleep last night. I'm still yawning but feeling better than I did yesterday when I was running on only two hours of sleep and a migraine headache. The two days before I was running on six and two hours of sleep.


Lionel Richie-"All Night Long"


So I was on YouTube this morning when it recommended "I Need Your Loving" by the Human League. I made the mistake of clicking on the link. Two minutes into it reminded me why I have only played Crash once when it put it on my phone. I mean, it really doesn't get any worse than this. It was funny in a sick sort of way, like watching a car crash. Let me just say it was so bad I don't want to contaminate my blog.

Seriously, it reminded me of why the band pulled out of the sessions leaving the producers Jimmy Jam and Terry Lewis to finish the album without them. I mean, they had to finish it with session musicians because the band walked out. 

Need I Say More? 

The Human League-"Circus of Death"

Today I am able to fight my headache. I have knots on both sides of the base of my skull. The pain is radiating to the top of my head on both sides. That's why I haven't been online much of the last few days. I should have known I was sicker than I had thought when people on Twitter noticed my absence and were concerned.



Simple Minds-"All The Things She Said"



I don't know what caused this migraine but its an extremely vicious one that just keeps coming back. I finally talked to my psychiatrist about it last night and he called in some medication (I don't have a primary care doctor yet). It was after pharmacy hours so I can't pick it up until tomorrow as all the ones around here are closed on Sunday. At least I know an end is in sight.


Today's Double Feature, the late great Whitney Houston
Whitney Houston - "I Wanna Dance With Somebody"

I'm still in shock over Whitney Houston's death. Although not a big fan of her music, I always liked her voice. I share many memories of her with my sister who loved Whitney. I bought my sister the first two albums by Whitney when she was a kid.

Whitney Houston-"I Will Always Love You"

My sister had this 45. One day she came home and proceeded to play it over and over again. I finally snapped and tore it off the family stereo, proceeded to stomp on it and then snap it in both directions. I've never seen vinyl shards like that day. As a big brother I then felt bad so two days later I bought her the entire "The Bodyguard" soundtrack. All was forgiven and I no longer heard this one song over and over again (I had stopped counting at 20 the day of the record destruction)

Although I have a lot of musical respect for Whitney, I still much prefer Dolly Parton's original recording of this gem. 

Dolly Parton-"I Will Always Love You"

"Mine is only one of the millions of hearts broken over the death of Whitney Houston, I will always be grateful and in awe of the wonderful performance she did on my song and I can truly say from the bottom of my heart, 'Whitney, I will always love you. You will be missed.'"  Dolly Parton

I've been reading near constantly. Its the only activity that is helping pass through the pain, and it helps me to escape. When I'm able I have been playing Depeche Mode or Human League. 


Depeche Mode-"Master and Servant"

My choices have been eclectic at best. My choices by Depeche have been very down the middle of their catalogue while my choices of Human League are the exact opposite. I've been playing music from the earliest and most recent CDs while ignoring their more famous albums altogether. Its rather odd.

The Human League-"Night People"

Credo is more trance than anything, and lately I've really been enjoying this style of music.

Paul Oakenfold-"Delerium Silence"

Oakenfold has always been my favourite trance artist & DJ.The man is brilliant. Also I don't feel so old when I listen to his music. He's six years older than me and rocks the house, so I see hope for me yet.


Berlin-"The Metro (extended)"

My ear today has been on bands that are fronted by women. From Berlin and The Motels to Bananarama and The Go-Gos. There were quite a few women in bands back then. Add in others in duos like Allison Moyet and Annie Lennox to really round out a good afternoon of musical choices. 

The Motels-"Suddenly Last Summer"

This song by The Motels always brings back strong memories of my last carefree summer. It was released right before I went completely into SynthPop and was listening to a lot of American pop music. In fact, I can list all the British musicians I enjoyed on one hand. 


U2-"The Refugee"

I did not get a true appreciation for U2 until I was an adult. Looking back, their early music was too heavy for me to understand. Same way with Depeche Mode. I liked their first album Speak and Spell, the rest of their music had to wait until I matured.Now I will travel half way across America to see either of these bands live. Like Peter Gabriel, they know how to rock the house down. 

On that note, I'm going to close with a live version from each of these folks. Put your headphones on, turn the volume up high. These artists are going to take you to places you thought you'd never go to. 

Enjoy.


Peter Gabriel from the This Way Up Tour 1987
"Lay Your Hands on Me"


Depeche Mode on Touring The Angel 2006
"Enjoy The Silence"


U2 on The Joshua Tree tour
"Trip Through Your Wires"

Catch Paul Ware on Facebook or Twitter. I can also be reached via email (delete no spam) but much prefer the Facebook message option. The comments section is fine too.

Want to know when the next blog is coming out or recommend it to a friend? There is an easy Facebook page for that now.

No comments:

Post a Comment