Saturday 3 December 2011

Day 3 No Night Sleep

This is the third day I haven't been able to sleep. Yesterday I was up until 9:00 a.m. and then slept until 1:00. Last night, up all night, and two nights ago the same with a three hour nap. What's going on?


Nina Simone-"Don't Let Me Be Misunderstood"
I was turned on to Nina by a friend who adored soul.
I've never been the same since the first day I listened to 
records with him.

At first I brushed it up to stopping my mood stabilizer but all over my Facebook and Twitter people are complaining of lack of sleep at night. Is there more to it? 

Credence Clearwater Revival - "Bad Moon Rising"

The first two nights we had high winds. Winds so high they literally blew headphones off my body and down to only God-Knows-Where. Less than 100 miles from me the San Gabriel Valley is expected to be without power until at least Monday.  Could it be these winds put me on edge making it hard to sleep?

Here's today's double feature, Arlo Guthrie.
Arlo Guthrie-"City of New Orleans"

Some of you may not know that Arlo is "one of us", meaning he lived under the specter of Huntington's Disease. Arlo's father was the well known folk musician 'Woody' Guthrie, who suffered from before dying of the disorder. This made Arlo an at-risk individual. To this day it would not surprise me to find out that he is one of those funding the private organization working to find a cure of HD.

Whenever I question my motives, I remind myself of how Arlo lives his life and I remind myself that I don't have to let this disease force me to live with a black cloud over my head all the time.

All 15 minutes of 
Arlo Guthrie-"Alice's Restaurant Live at Farm Aid '05"

My main problem with the lack of sleep is that it brings out two of my symptoms almost right away. The first is my depression. The second is my leg jerking. If I don't sleep for one night, the next day I'll be laying down and "jerk" out from my kneecaps. Sitting in a chair and "jerk" Its not pleasant at all, and it makes napping twice as hard. 

William S. Burroughs-"A Thanksgiving Prayer"

I spent a year with a friend's family on Thanksgiving so I wouldn't have to spend the American holiday alone. When this came on the television it was time for silence as their 65 year old grandfather watched it as some would stop to watch a televised orchestra play a well liked tune. It was clear where @MeekoDev got her sense of taste and culture.  

Red Hot Chili Peppers-"Under The Bridge"

I think these symptoms are more aggravating to me because as I'm getting my life settled at its new state and enjoying my new routine this comes through and reminds me that I'm not a normal person with a normal routine. It throws me off. The good thing in this is that I am seeing that there is so much left in my regular  routine that can be interrupted. Also, now that I know these symptoms, I can recognize it for what it is and go on.

Paul Young-"(Wherever I Lay My Hat) That's My Home"
A year ago I would have sworn this is my theme song.
Its nice to have grown enough to say it no longer is.


Well, I'm going to leave you now. See you tomorrow.

You figure out why.

Catch Paul Ware on Facebook or Twitter. I can also be reached via email (delete no spam) but much prefer the Facebook message option.

No comments:

Post a Comment